It some times takes many years for us to understand what is good and what is bad for our health. Simple healthy choices in our day to day cooking like swapping rice with wheat or barley, white bread with brown bread, using whole grains and pulses can create wonders to our overall health and well being.
I was very fond of vermicelli, used to have vermicelli upma atleast twice in a week. But vermicelli is made up of white flour, which we all know is really bad for our health so now my normal vermicelli has been swapped with Ragi vermicelli which is made up of wheat and ragi flour. I have used Anil Ragi Vermicelli, because this is the only Indian brand which I know is available here in Dubai. Also I always use equal quantity of vegetables and vermicelli to make this upma, making this super healthy to start the day.
Ingredients: ( Serves generous 2 plates )
Ragi Vermicelli - 1 Cup
Mustard Seeds - 1 Tsp
Split Black Gram - 1 Tbsp
Onions - 2 Medium sized chopped
Ginger - 1 Inch piece grated
Green Chilies - 3 chopped
Mixed Vegetables Like Carrot and Peas- 1 Cup ( Boiled )
Peanuts- 2 Tbsp
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Salt- To Taste
Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp
Oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soak vermicelli in 5 cups of room temperature salted water for 2 or 3 minutes. Drain the vermicelli.
- Steam the vermicelli in greased idli plates for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove vermicelli from the plates and keep aside.
- In a pan add oil and once the oil heats up add in mustard seeds. As soon as mustard starts cracking add split black gram and peanuts. Fry them till peanuts start cracking.
- Now add onions, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves. Fry till onions turns translucent.
- Add in boiled vegetables and salt to taste, mix everything together.
- Now tip in the steamed vermicelli and combine everything. Close the pan's lid and let the upma cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Take off the pan from heat and pour lemon juice in the upma and mix.